Monday, September 7, 2009

Last swim of the year

This weekend was the last weekend for the Fruita Pool to be open. So we thought we would take advantage of it one last time. We went on Saturday and had a great time.
Daddy and Kendyllee just relaxing and taking in some sun while I put on my sun screen.
This is the funniest picture of Kendyllee. If you look close at her legs, you can see that she has her legs crossed a little bit. It reminded me of how pageant contestants stand when they are posing for the swim suit contest.
She loves her floaty. She can still touch the bottom and walk around in it. It just helps her keep her balance.
Once she saw these other girls in the pool with out floaties, then she wanted out of hers.
So we thought we would give it a shot. She did really well for a while and then she decided she was going to try and run to daddy. And I was not far behind her, but I ended up being too far behind her. She was only a couple steps in front of me when she slipped and lost her balance and went under the water face first. Now those of you that know me, know how terrified of water I am. I was scared to death! I felt like I was being held down and could not get to her as fast as I wanted. She just floated up to the top and was not moving at all. What seemed like minutes before I could get to her was only seconds. When I finally reached her and pulled her up, I looked at her and then realized that Owen was at the edge of the pool ready to jump in with his shoes on and all. She was coughing pretty hard, so I turned her over and let her cough up the water she had just swallowed. The life guards saw what happened and came over to see if everything was OK. I handed her to her daddy and he calmed her down while I gathered myself back together and then we put her back in the water without her floaty. I did not want her to be afraid of the water. Once she realized she was ok, I put her back in her floaty for a minute. And then she was done with swimming.
It scares me how daring she is. She does not understand that there is danger and that she should be afraid of some things. She wanted to jump into the pool more that once before I was ready. I am hoping this is just a stage and she will grow out of it. It is not that I want her to be afraid of the water, it is just that I want her to understand that she could get hurt very easily. Am I just a worry wart of a mom? Or is this normal?