Saturday, May 9, 2009

May 9, 2008

One year ago today was a very happy and stress full day in our lives. But yet the happiest day of our lives. This is how it all started out.

I was 2 days past due and I had another Dr. appointment at 10:30. Owen's manager had made him start his paternity leave since he was working in Ontario and I was 2 days past due. So at 9:00 that morning I received a phone call from Dr. Agrusa's office. They wanted to know if we could come now instead of later. So away we went. We had put all of the things we would need in the car just in case. Once we arrived at the office, they hooked me up to all sorts of monitors and did a non stress test. That is when we found out that I did not have enough fluid and they could not find a heart beat and she was not moving. So then the Dr walked out of my room without saying anything to Owen and I. We just sat there, looking at each other wondering what was going on. Then the Dr walked back into the room and told us that the hospital was waiting for us and was ready to check us in. They were going to start me. I started crying so hard. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I was so out of control that Owen had to check me out of the Dr's office and make my 6 week appointment. On the way to the hospital (about a 30 second drive) I called my mom at work and dad at home. Told them to hurry up cause I was checking in. Owen called his parents and I called my brothers.

The entire time I was pregnant, I was very determined that I was not going to have an epidural. I wanted to do it all on my own. We told the nurse that and she said that would be fine as long as things were progressing and we were both fine.

At 11:30 she had started my IV with pitossin (sp?). With in 10 minutes my contractions had started and they were good ones, some of them lasting 5 minutes. I was being strong and still had not had any drugs for pain. My parents arrived around 4:30 and then were asked to leave at 5:00 so they could give me an epidural, not my choice. The nurse had to make the call and she said that I was not progressing like I needed to and this might help. They would give it a couple of hours and see what happens. If things did not change, then they would need to do a C-Section. We both felt fine with that. We just wanted her to be healthy.

At 9:00 the Dr came in a said they needed to take the baby by C-Section and they needed to start prepping asap. They handed Owen a pair of scrubs and asked him to go and change, while they got me ready. My parents had to wait in the waiting room with Heidi. The next thing I remember, I was being wheeled away and Owen was holding my hand. He had to wait outside the operating room until the Drs were all scrubbed clean and ready. Then they let him come in. He could take still photos of the process but no video. We have some pretty crazy photos.

At 9:45 pm I heard our Angel cry for the first time. I was once again over come with an amazing sense of emotion. I began to cry uncontrollably. I remember the anesthesiologist was standing above my head and asked me if everything was OK. I told him "I am fine. I AM A MOM!'' I looked over at Owen and could see he was having the same feeling thing I was. She was healthy with 10 fingers and 10 toes, weighing at 8 pounds and 13 ounces and was 19 3/4 inches long with a full head of black hair.

The rest is history. I have so many memories and emotions about this day. THE DAY WE BECAME PARENTS.!!!