Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th oh July

We had a very fun and eventful 4th of July weekend. On Friday, my friend's daughter (Jayna who is 11) came over and spent the afternoon with us. When she arrived, I was putting Kendyllee down for a nap and then we headed outside to prepare for the evenings festivities. First on the list was setting up our tent. That's right, our tent. We decided we were going to camp in the back yard. And you can not go camping without having Tinfoil Dinners cooked over the coals. So next, I cleaned out fire pit and got it all ready for the brickets. After starting the fire, we headed inside to fix our yummy dinner. Jayna had no idea what Tinfoil dinners were, but once she saw what I was doing she was really excited. We even made one for Kendyllee and then on the fire they went. The only mishap was-I did not turn them over half way and they all burned in a little. But still very delicious and Jayna also thought they were fabulous. After dinner we made smores over the coals and they were also yummy to the tummy.

Kendyllee is waiting very patiently for her first smore.
The wait is over and she loved them.
Our dining area for the evening.
Jayna and I trying very hard not to make a mess.
Apparently we did not try hard enough. As I was laughing extremely hard at Jayna and the mess of a smore she could not control, my smore dripped down my front. Which made us laugh even harder. I guess that is what I get for laughing at her.
Oh well, what could we have done about it.
After the yummy and very messy dinner we went to see the firework show that Fruita does. We thought we went just in time so we would not have to wait long. We were sooo wrong. We ended up still waiting for over an hour, which was not easy with Kendyllee. Finally the show started and it was pretty but slow. So we did not stay long and decided to go home. As we were pulling into our subdivision, we saw all these people sitting in camping chairs in the road. We turned around and realized that we could have seen the fireworks from our front yard. What nerds we are. We took Jayna home and we were ready for bed ourselves. We put Kendyllee down and headed out to our tent at about 11:00. I layed there until after midnight before I finally was able to fall asleep, then I woke up at 1:30 and both of my arms were numb and my back was killing me. So I decided to bag the tent and came inside. Owen was way to tired to get up so he enjoyed the entire air mattress by himself.
Thanks Jayna for coming over and having a fun night with us.
On the 4th we all woke up very rested and ready for an exciting day. I had gone shopping at Old Navy and bought us all matching shirts and had the best idea for Kendyllee's hair. I recruited Owen and the television for a distraction while I set out to create the perfect hair do for the day. You can not tell see it very well (because it is crazy to think that Kendyllee would hold her head still for one second so I could get a non-blurry picture). I think the star turned out very well.
Since Grand Junction does not start their celebration until 6 pm with a parade and the fireworks, we decided to go into town for lunch. We had the most amazing burgers at Smash Burgers, and then came home and waited for the parade. At least that is what we thought. Kendyllee decided she would rather stay home and cry instead of go to the parade. So that is what we did. After dark, Jessica and her kids came over and we had a good time lighting off the little bit of fireworks we had.
Here is Kendyllee playing inside our entertainment center where her toys to. She loves to pull them all out and then crawl in there.

We hope you all had a wonderful and safe 4th of July!