Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus

I am sure there are many of you that saw Kendyllee and I while we were visiting in June that are wondering what I had all over my neck. Well this is how it all started.

In April I planted my flowers outside and my neck got a little sunburned but not bad. With in a couple days it began to itch very very badly. I thought I was just having a reaction to something so I put some Eurcerin lotion on it and that made it burn like crazy. So I wiped it off with a cold wet rag and let the burning stop. Then the next day I thought I would try some Renew lotion from Melaluca and that did the same thing. So I gave up and just decided to be patient and let it go away on its own. Well it didn't.
When we were in Idaho, I finally gave in and went to Community Care and the Dr there told me it could be one of two things. Either Diabetes or Lupus. He gave me a prescription for a Steroid creme and told me to use that and see what happened. He also said that there are blood tests that would help determine what was going on. So I filled the prescription and went home to my parents house and called Owen so I could talk to him about the situation. We both thought it was a good idea to go back the next morning and have the blood tests done. By then next morning, I could not believe the difference in the rash. The itching and burning was gone and some of the redness was gone too. So I went the next morning and had the blood tests done and they all came back good. Meaning there was not issues with my kidneys or liver. (They wanted to rule this out because that is what is attacked first if you have Chronic Lupus.) I went back to my parents house and googled it and sure enough, my rash looked just like the all the pics on the Internet.

The worst thing about this is--I am basically allergic to the sun. It is caused from the sun and those types of rays. So that means I will have to start wearing sun screen (which I have never done ever before) and staying out of the sun. I will have this the rest of my life. I am really bummed because even if I am out in the sun for just 5 minutes I begin to break out on my neck and arms. I wanted this summer to be so fun for us. I was going to take Kendyllee to the park and pool a couple times each week.

Here are some pics of what it looked like at its worst.