Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sleep well Peggy!!

For those of you who know my family more than likely know all about Peggy. She is our horse. My dad bought her from his dad before she was even born. She is older than I am, 29 1/2 years to be exact. She was born on June 4, 1980. She is the most gorgeous horse I have ever seen and has been a member of our family since day 1. I have many wonderful memories while riding her up and down the road and thru the fields as a child. Every day during the summer, dad would saddle Peggy and Jackson and Luke and I would ride them, an hour on each horse. She was the first horse I learned to saddle and she was the only horse that I dared to pick up her front hoof. I remember riding her like crazy during the summer on the long hot days and I thought she must have been exhausted by the time we were done, but then dad would get on her and she would have more life in her than she did when he first saddled her. She also loved the sound of Ol' Green. One summer, dad took them to pasture at his cousins house just outside of Rexburg along the Salem highway. Every day dad would drive past to and from work and she would start to winnie and prance when ever she heard him coming. She could hear him coming in that pick-up from miles away. We always knew when he was close because she told us. She hated moose with a passion. She loved all the dogs my parents have had over the years. We had a dog named Claude and he was almost beaten and chewed to death by a Pit bull when he was a puppy so he was scared of other dogs. There were many times when dad would have Peggy and Claude out for a nice ride on the Dunes or the Junipers and run into a sheep camp. Claude was so terrified of those dogs, so dad would pull him up onto the saddle and he would just ride right along with him. Peggy did not care one bit. I think she knew that he was scared. She lived a very long life for a horse and it will not be the same to go home and not have here there. That had been her home longer than it has been mine. Over the last couple of years, her health has faded and she has gone down hill this last year. My dad did not want her to be cold another winter or maybe not even make it thru another one, so on Saturday October 3, 2009 he put her to rest in her pasture. It is very sad to me but yet very comforting to know that she is no longer in pain. She will sleep very peacefully in her pasture and can now run and play with her mom and Sadie.
Here are some of the pics I have of her.

Tyson and Brooklinn

Tyson taking Kendyllee for her one and only ride on Peggy on her 1st birthday! May 9, 2009

Grandpa with his "pups'' and Peggy Sue
My last and final ride on her May 9, 2009I love this pic!!
Tyson on Sassy and Dad on Peggy (notice he is bare back) This is how I remember Peggy. With her ears forward and her tail in the air. With such life!
She loved to have dad on her back. It always made her feel young. She always had such spirit and spunk when he rode her!
One of dad's favorite places to be! She has always been so loyal to dad and he has taken such amazing care of her. He always called her "his girlfriend".
Shootin the BreezeDad and Mike on Peggy
Dad, Mike and Madee on Peggy
One of my favorites!!
This is their last picture together.
Peggy will be missed greatly by all of us.